maclocate 0.1.5 released: Utility to geolocate by MAC address

Inspired by this Slashdot post, I spent my lunch on that day writing a very simple Twisted-based interface to the Skyhook API. In short, it lets one ask the Skyhook database for the geographic coordinates of a a wireless router (or other interface with a MAC address, though I heartily doubt they have those available).

I don't know how generally useful it will be. I'm thinking of writing an auto-mapper for Zenoss, to make setting up its Google Maps feature simpler. It won't work all the time, but it might save a few steps in some cases. Then again, the risk of false positives might make it useless (I get false positives when I try to geolocate the MACs of interfaces on VMs I've created).

The egg installs a command line utility, as well; $ maclocate 00:00:00:00:00:00 AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA will print out the coordinates of those addresses, if available.

0 comments

Post a Comment